Yes, guilty as charged, I do take myself too seriously! How about you?
My recent experience at Lisa Whitener’s pallet knife workshop got me really thinking about having fun.
Then I read, what Dr. Seuss said, (Theodor Seuss Geisel),
“Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age. Humor has a tremendous place in this sordid world. It’s more than just a matter of laughing. If you can see things out of whack, then you can see how things can be in whack.”
I needed that, everyone needs a little nonsense in their lives otherwise their own self importance gets in the way. I think when we get too full of ourselves, we aren’t all that fun to be with. We give ourselves and others a brain cramp.
Fun, on the other hand has an enlivening effect.
I had a chance to talk to Lisa about her philosophy on art and being creative. She also had some nice encouragement for you, our readers. Listen to what Lisa has to say about making life and art fun.
There are a whole lot of reasons that we become self absorbed. One underlying cause is our pride. Pride will make you worrying about what other people think. They are going to think what they want whether you do the right, wrong, best thing anyway. Accept that you’ll never please people. Allow yourself to please God with simple faith in Him (Hebrews 11:6).
Here are a couple of nonsense goodies that can help you:
- Buy some bubbles at your local dollar store, blow them on the porch or in bed, laugh.
- Concentration is good, but recognize frowning does not help you do a better job.
- Turn off the tv, don’t be in bondage to media where everything is a crisis.
- Ditch the “I’ve got to be perfect” syndrome, it’s boring and paralyzing.
- Joy is good for relationships. Play with your cat, dog, friend or mate.
- Develop a fun attitude by being intentional and grateful. Fun is a stress reliever, watch a funny movie or video.
It’s ok to be quirky, embrace that you’ve been wired by God to be in his image and as is everyone else, so relax.